Monday, September 29, 2008

Chocolate Oatmeal and Flocks of Birds


There are a few really good things, and I think these things change at different times of your life, so you have different good things for different periods. That's a little out there, so I'll be more concrete. Today for breakfast, I tried chocolate oatmeal. You just take some oatmeal and mix in a little cocoa powder and a little brown sugar, and voila, chocolate oatmeal. Ty had told me about it and I thought, I simply must try this. So I made it this morning, and holy cow, it's really, really, really good. Just what I hoped it would be. So that's a really good thing. Chocolate oatmeal.


Another really good thing is flocks of birds. I was on a bike ride yesterday down on the new legacy parkway trail, and I was passing this quiet field where a bunch of cows were drinking from a stream and looking lazy in the heat. All of the sudden, as I went by, about fifty birds lifted up from the field with a big whoosh. They came out of nowhere, and it was like this choreographed panic dance, where they all swooped around in the same exact circles over the field until I had gone past, and then they all settled back into the grass at the exact same time to get back to their feeding. How do they do this? It blows my mind. Which one of them sounds the alarm that sends them all up together? And how can they possibly be so in sync? Who is the leader of them all as they move around in the sky doing the exact same thing? It's uncanny. I love watching this. It's one of those things I've wondered about since I was born, one of the things that makes life really mysterious to me. It's seriously amazing. Anyway, that is another really good thing. Flocks of birds.


If I think of more really good things, I'll write them here maybe.


3 comments:

BYU SNA said...

you've inspired me to make chocolate oatmeal...I'll let you know how it goes.

cami said...

so randomly I saw your facebook and your moms comment that said she read your blog, so I just typed in mandyeast.blog....... and here you are, kinda funny! I have one as well, its devcamolsonfam.blogspot.com
I hope things are going well for you! The other day I was thinking about the times we used to go walking around the Bountiful Temple, so many memories! We need to do something soon!

Star Girl said...

I WANT MORE ENTRIES!!!!!!! lOVE YA