Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I've been trying to make decisions lately--big decisions--and I have found that I am not made for decision-making. It is really exhausting. The biggest decision I am currently attempting to make is whether or not I am going to move to Portland in September for graduate school. I don't know yet what I am going to decide. In fact, I kind of wish someone would just tell me what I am going to do, and then I can make myself be content with my fate. I am good at this. I am just not very good at the whole making-the-decision part. So I will make a big pronouncement when I do finally decide.

I did decide one very big thing today, though, and that is that I want to be a teacher when I grow up. A high school English teacher. I've thought about it a lot--over-thought it, I'm sure, as is my tendency--and I really think this is the career that will most afford me the lifestyle that I want to have. I can teach the things I love and work with people all day long, and then in the summer I can go on big adventures, like teach English in France or join a hippie camp in Hawaii or be a part of a sailing crew or write a book, etc. This is my plan, and I think it will be wonderful. Plus, I can live in Utah close to my family, but still live outside of Utah in the summer. It sounds to me like the best possible solution for my ever-changing, schizophrenic desires. So that is the big news of the day. Hopefully more will follow if I ever make up my mind about Portland. :)

No comments: